IBMA’s annual bluegrass music homecoming, scheduled for 30th September to 4th October in Raleigh, North Carolina, will build upon last year’s tremendous success with new activities, seminars and business opportunities for attendees.
IBMA invites you to be part of the buzz this year.
IBMA members can take advantage of early registration from 31st March at 10am CST on IBMA.org. The public can register on 14th April at 10am CST on IBMA.org, but if you join IBMA now and register on the 13th.
Registration will take place via IBMA’s website, and rates will be posted there. Note that hotel reservations are contingent upon the purchase of a ticket and/or registration to at least one World of Bluegrass event. Additional details and pricing information will be available on the website. Many of the events and hotels sold out last year, so don’t wait.
Qualifying professional members can also partake in the prestigious IBMA Awards voting process. Join now at IBMA.org.
The 411 on WOB:
IBMA’s World of Bluegrass (WOB) event consists of four parts:
- The IBMA Business Conference, September 30 – October 2
- The 25th Annual International Bluegrass Music Awards, scheduled for Thursday evening, October 2
- The IBMA Wide Open Bluegrass Music Festival (a fundraiser for the Bluegrass Trust Fund), October 3-4
- The Bluegrass Ramble, an innovative series of artist showcases, taking place September 30 – October 2 on seven stages in downtown Raleigh and at the Raleigh Convention Center.
IBMA celebrated as Raleigh became the new host city last year, and it proved to be an amazing rejuvenation of the World of Bluegrass events and the bluegrass community, with total attendance for the week’s festivities estimated at 146,000, exceeding expectations for the event’s first year in our new conference home. Since then, IBMA staff has read and listened to all the comments, feedback, and surveys from last year’s attendees and look forward to building upon the success of 2013 by making improvements to existing events and by adding new, exciting components to the full week.
This year’s WOB will still include the amazing aspects IBMA’s WOB have been known for such as:
- A phenomenal festival line-up
- Opportunities to see unique, once-in-a-lifetime musical collaborations
- Networking and business opportunities
- Inspiring speeches and stunning moments that inspire the entire bluegrass community
- More live music than you can imagine: In 2013 we hosted over 300 performances by more than 160 different artists during the World of Bluegrass, and we plan to have even more this year.
Here are just some of the exciting things IBMA has planned for 2014:
- New & Improved IBMA Business Conference:
- The debut of the “Bluegrass Marketplace,” a three-hour, concentrated “mini” exhibit hall giving small businesses, service providers, songwriters and local associations that don’t fit the traditional four-day exhibit hall model an affordable and appropriate alternative to promote their activities to the business community.
- A return of the popular “DJ Taping Sessions” connecting radio DJs with artist and industry leaders for onsite interviews.
- An expanded four days for the “Bluegrass Expo,” with some new innovations that will make the Exhibit Hall bustle, Wednesday – Saturday.
- A special two-day Talent Buyers Focus planned for October 1-2, especially for event producers and agents, with a new pitching session, reception, an expanded Gig Fair and discounts for first-time talent buyer attendees. More talent buyers at the Business Conference, of course, means more booking opportunities for agents and bands. So it’s a win: win situation for all concerned.
- Panel-based seminars, poster seminars, and small group intensive sessions designed to help attendees focus on specific issues and connect with experts in their fields.
- Increased food and beverage available on site
- A streamlined Business Conference registration, Bluegrass Ramble, and Wide Open Bluegrass festival ticketing process through etix.com.
- An improved Gig Fair format. This popular WOB event sometimes referred to as “speed dating for artists & talent buyers,” directly connects bands attending the Business Conference with top music event producers from all over the world.
- The return of the IBMA Health Fair.
- Information and details regarding performances, seminar details, speakers, presenters, exhibitors and general attendees will be shared and posted at ibma.org as early as possible to help you get the most out of the conference.
- A new and improved Business Conference program book
- Enhanced networking opportunities
- The return of the popular Song Demo Listening Sessions, the Songwriter Showcase, new receptions, and a special track for Emerging Artists interested in moving up to the next level of touring and recording.
- The Bluegrass Ramble…and more!
- A dedicated transportation system – with extended hours – running nonstop between hotels and Bluegrass Ramble venues, provided by the city of Raleigh, 7 p.m.-2 a.m.
- An additional official showcase stage in the Raleigh Convention Center, which will provide the opportunity for attendees to see all official showcase bands under one roof during the course of three days.
- A new streamlined schedule for the Bluegrass Ramble: Tuesday, Sept. 30 (7 p.m.-2 a.m.), Wednesday, Oct. 1 (7 p.m.-2 a.m.), and Thursday, Oct. 2 (10 p.m.-2 a.m.)
- The return of privately hosted “After Hours Showcases” (Tuesday – Thursday) and the new Friday – Saturday “Wide Open After Hours” format will provide additional performance opportunities for both artists and bluegrass fans. All registered Business Conference attendees interested in performing will have the opportunity to have their contact info shared with the appropriate booking contacts.
Full Week Improvements:
- Hotel rooms in the two official main hotels are available to registered IBMA Business Conference attendees and those who buy tickets to the IBMA Awards or Wide Open Bluegrass.
- Complimentary transportation from the official WOB campground to the main hotels sponsored by the Raleigh Convention Center
- Prices have not increased one cent at all at official IBMA hotels or at the State Fair Campground.
- ZimRide’s WOB Ride Share Program: a great online tool to connect you to others traveling to IBMA events, provides the opportunity to save transportation costs. You might even make some new friends, traveling to the World of Bluegrass together.
Sustainability is coming to WOB:
Bluegrass is going green, under the leadership of IBMA’s Youth Council in collaboration with the city of Raleigh.
The Bluegrass Film Expo:
A celebration of what’s new and exciting in the film world, focused on bluegrass and roots music.
Once in a lifetime opportunities to play with your favorite bluegrass personalities.
The World of Bluegrass pricing schedule for 2014 is as follows:
Tier 1 Pricing level (approx. 15% savings off full cost):
- Members only: Monday March 31, 2014 – Sunday, April 13, 2014
- General public: Monday, April 14, 2014 – Sunday, May 4, 2014
Tier 2 Pricing level (approx. 10% savings off full cost):
- Monday, May 5, 2014 – Sunday, June 1, 2104
Final “Walk Up” Pricing level (approx. 15% savings off full cost):
- Monday, June 2, 2014 – October 4, 2014
Keep an eye on ibma.org, Twitter, IBMA’s Facebook page and Bluegrass Nation for more news on specific events, festival and showcase line-ups, and all things World of Bluegrass.