Having already endeared themselves to many Australian audiences last year, The Whitetop Mountaineers, Martha Spencer and Jackson Cunningham from Virginia, USA, are set return to Australia by popular demand. This year they are taking in a host of Australian dates and festivals courtesy of their Australian agent, Across the Borders, based in Melbourne.
At the 2008/09 Woodford Folk Festival, unknown and unheralded, the duo stunned and delighted audiences with their performance of American mountain music and song and dance. The group also performed to audiences in Gippsland, taking in the region’s famous Yinnar Hotel a popular acoustic music venue.
Both musicians are skilled multi-instrumentalists, Jackson plays guitar, mandolin and clawhammer banjo, while Martha plays fiddle, guitar and banjo and dnaces. They are both strong vocal performers and their close harmonies are indicative of the old time and bluegrass traditions from which they draw their repertoire.
Martha and Jackson will be appearing at the following confirmed destinations in 2010:
- 5th – 8th March – Pt Fairy Folk Festival, Vic
- 12th – 14th March – Blue Mountain Festival, NSW
- 18th March – Brunswick Music Festival, Vic
- 19th – 20th March – Yakandanda Folk Festival, Vic
- 25th March – Bendigo Folk Club, Vic
- 26th – 28th March – Apollo Bay Folk Festival, Vic
- 31st March – Yinnar Hotel, Gippsland, Vic
- 1st – 4th April – National Folk Festival – ACT