US Old-Time trio, The South Carolina Broadcasters, have just begun their first Australian tour, and are currently working as tutors at the Dorrigo Old-Time Music School, ahead of their first performance at the Dorrigo Folk & Bluegrass Festival this weekend.
The South Carolina Broadcasters are the “real deal” when it comes to Old-Time Bluegrass music, with their razor sharp harmonies, exceptional multi-instrumentation, and fabulous song selection. Wherever they perform, audiences connect with the Broadcasters through their heartfelt songs and good old-fashioned entertainment. Their material ranges from the Old-Time mountain music of Appalachia, through Carter Family country classics, and Cajun music, to original tunes that sound like they’ve come from the past.
The trio consists of David Sheppard (guitar & vocals), Ivy Sheppard (banjo, fiddle, & vocals) and new band member, Jackson Cunningham from The Whitetop Mountaineers (mandolin, guitar, & vocals).
I’d like to think that if AP Carter had had more time to think about it and work things out, the Carter Family would have been singing like the Broadcasters.” – Tim O’Brien.
While this is the first Australian tour for the band, Jackson Cunningham has been a regular visitor downunder, touring here with The Whitetop Mountaineers playing major festivals and a host of gigs across the country.
- Wed 23-Fri 25: Dorrigo Old-Time Music School NSW
- Fri 25–Sun 27: Dorrigo Folk & Bluegrass Festival NSW
- Tue 29: Upper Lansdowne Hall, NSW
- Wed 30: Petersham Bowling Club, NSW
- Thu 31: Smiths Alternative, Canberra ACT.
- Fri 1- Mon 4: Maldon Folk Festival VIC
- Tue 5: House concert, Ballarat VIC
- Wed 6: House concert, Lancefield VIC
- Thu 7: Merri Creek Tavern, Northcote VIC
- Fri 8 – Sun 10: MountainGrass Festival, Beechworth VIC.
- Tue 12: Mountain Pickers Association, Upwey RSL VIC
- Wed 13: Yinnar Hotel VIC
- Thu 14: Valencia Creek Memorial Hall VIC
- Fri 15: Southern Valley Folk Club, Nethercote Hall NSW
- Sat 16: Railway Institute Hall, Thirroul NSW
- Wed 20: Yuin Folk Club, School of Arts Hall, Cobargo NSW.
- Thu 21: Anglican Church, Moruya NSW
- Fri 22: Hotel Blue, Katoomba NSW
- Sat 23: The Quarterdeck, Narooma NSW