We received this report on a house concert sent in by Sue Tulloch of Quorn in South Australia:
Saturday night July 1st saw one of the best bluegrass bands from Adelaide, ‘The Cherry Pickers’ play a house concert hosted by Bob and Sue Tulloch at their place, Peppertree Lane Quorn.
According to the hosts, the band was welcomed by 35 enthusiastic locals from Quorn, Stirling Nth, Pt Augusta, Peterborough, Wirrabara and Clare, cosy wood fire, soup and a sausage sizzle – “3 hound dogs and a piggy we stole from the shed, didn’t get much sleep but we had a lot of fun…”
Speaking from the heart, the guys (who have been playing together for 10 years and performed at many large venues) said this concert would have to be one of their 5 best shows.
Anton Lunsted ( Director of the Melrose Music Muster) organised their booking which also had them generously playing at the Emergency Services Bushfire Benefit concert Sunday morning at Pt Pirie.
The Cherry Pickers are:
- Mark Bandick- Guitar/Vocals
- Paul Cooper- Banjo
- Rob Cooper- Dobro/Vocals
- Elias Evangelistis- Mandolin/Vocals
- Max Wright – Double Bass
Their latest CD is ‘Hand Picked’ ‘a tribute to a defining era of Australian music’.
Hoping this is the start of many more house concerts in the area.
The band has further performances scheduled on:
- Saturday July 15: Fleurieu Distillery – Goolwa, SA – 2pm
- Friday July 21: Aldinga Institute, SA. With Lazy Eye
- September 1-3: Wirrina Bluegrass Festival – Wirrina Cove, SA
- Saturday September 9: The Singing Gallery – McLaren Vale, SA
- September 29-Oct 2: Semaphore Music Festival – Semaphore, SA
- October 13-15: Foggy Mountain Bluegrass Festival – Kinglake, VIC
- Sunday December 10: The Cheese Factory – Meadows, SA
Next Quorn event:
PS: Calling all closet pickers to learn the skills and confidence to play at any jam session. A Bluegrass Jamming Camp will be held at Quorn from Fri 8th to Sun 10th Sept, For more info go to the Jam Camps Australia website, or ph Sue Tulloch 86486117
Would loved to have been there.