Application deadline: 15th Feb., 2013.
The official showcase performances hosted by IBMA at their annual World of Bluegrass conference is an opportunity to introduce talent and new music. This unique event helps introduce new music makers to the music industry.
As previously mentioned here at ABB, the IBMA conference will be held in Raleigh, North Carolina this year with each showcase band performing two or three times during World of Bluegrass week. The showcase fee after being invited has been lowered to $500/group—which still includes full attendee registration for band members and a complimentary booth in the exhibit hall.
Up to 50 showcase artists will be invited for World of Bluegrass 2013, depending on the number of applicants and the qualifications of groups that apply. Each official showcase act will perform twice, and possibly three times during World of Bluegrass Week in some combination of following areas: the Raleigh Convention Center, evening showcase rooms at the Marriott or Sheraton hotels, evening showcases at six in-town venues, or as a part of the weekend street fair. There will also be opportunities for merchandise sales and, potentially, a share in showcase-generated revenues after off-site venue expenses are covered. (More info on this as details are firmed up.)
IBMA Showcase bands are chosen in a juried selection process that takes into consideration every applicant’s entertainment value, level of professionalism, potential appeal and quality of work. There are generally more than 100 acts who apply every year.
In addition to the two or three showcase opportunities mentioned above, official IBMA showcase bands receive a number of benefits and complimentary services, including:
- Featured profile in conference program
- Priority access to “Gig Fair” appointments (new & improved in 2013—more info coming soon!)
- Scheduled consultation in advance of events on maximizing showcase opportunities
- Complimentary booth space during business conference (value $600+)
- Full conference registration package for performing members of group (value $1000+)
- One organizational membership for group (value $205)
- And other exclusive services available to official showcase performers.
The value of booth space, conference registrations and IBMA membership alone adds up to more than $1,800 for a band.
IBMA’s World of Bluegrass is scheduled for Sept. 24-28, 2013 in Raleigh, N.C. Artists are not required to be IBMA members to apply for the showcase opportunity, but are required to submit a$25 fee to help defray selection process costs.
If an artist or group is invited to perform as one of the official showcase artists, there is a showcase fee of $500 to offset costs of services and showcase production.
The showcases are designed to introduce any one or all of the following to the bluegrass industry:
- Emerging talent capable and willing to broaden their market
- Established bands who have significant changes in their act
- Artists who have significant, new recorded product.
The board-appointed Talent Committee’s selection process involves a fair, but subjective evaluation based on the information presented by each applicant. Depending on the number of acts which apply, the selection process takes approximately three months. IBMA makes the full selection criteria available upon request.
Any act wishing to apply for an official showcase should submit the following by February 15, 2013:
- Five complete promotional packages for each act making application, including five copies of a representative recording of the act’s work. Recording can be a full CD, demo of new cuts not yet released, demo of highlighted material, or other, but should be representative of the acts most recent work. (Please remove any shrink wrapping)
- Complete contact information for the group
- A $25 application fee, payable to IBMA.
Send all submission packages to: IBMA Showcase Committee, 2 Music Circle South, Ste. 100, Nashville, TN 37203.NOTE: IBMA is moving its office to another address in Nashville in late February, but we will still be at the address above through the showcase deadline of Feb. 15.