With Body And Soul and Let The Light Shine Down.
Two separate discs paying tribute to Monroe’s secular and gospel catalogs are set to arrive on 23rd August, 2011.
With Body And Soul and Let The Light Shine Down feature a total of 34 cuts, some previously unissued, as well as notes by distinguished writer and Monroe biographer Neil V. Rosenberg.
2011 marks the 100th Anniversary of the birth of Bill Monroe, creator of bluegrass, and without doubt one of the most important and influential figures in American music. In a career that began in the late 1930s, Monroe and his band, The Blue Grass Boys started a new genre of roots-based music. That musict not only influenced artists worldwide, from Elvis Presley on down, but effectively shaped or changed the lives of literally thousand of professional and amateur musicians.
It is hard to imagine a bluegrass band today that does not include at least a few of Monroe’s songs and tunes in its repertoire, and these two exceptional budget-priced collections just prove the ongoing strength and impact of his work. In its illustrious 50 year history, Rebel Records, has recorded numerous pieces that were written by or associated with the Father of Bluegrass Music and those songs are now played by other first and second generation stars such as Ralph Stanley, Don Reno & Red Smiley, Tony Rice and Del McCoury among many others.
This compilation album With Body And Soul features 17 classic Monroe songs and instrumentals including My Little Georgia Rose, Kentucky Waltz, Mule Skinner Blues, Blue Moon of Kentucky and Uncle Pen.
They are performed by many of the biggest names in bluegrass past and present, including Ralph Stanley, Mac Wiseman, Kenny Baker (teaming up with Monroe himself on “Road to Columbus”), Jim & Jesse, Don Rigsby and The Lonesome River Band, Del McCoury, The Seldom Scene, Tony Rice, Bobby Hicks, Red Allen.
Let The Light Shine Down presents 17 of Monroe’s finest gospel numbers, played here by such artists as The Stanley Brothers, The Country Gentlemen, Don Reno & Benny Martin, Larry Richardson, Dave Evans and Junior Sisk & Ramblers Choice among others. In addition, many of the cuts on these two CDs include musicians who were once Blue Grass Boys themselves, like Sonny Osborne, Carter Stanley, Bobby Hicks, Bill Keith, Richard Greene and Peter Rowan.
Both volumes include previously unissued recordings as well as superb, extensive song notes by well-known Monroe biographer Neil V. Rosenberg. As he comments, “these musicians not only preserve the feeling and content of Monroe’s repertoire, they reflect his belief that every musician should place a personal stamp upon each performance.
With Body and Soul: A Bluegrass Tribute To Bill Monroe
- My Little Georgia Rose – The Seldom Scene
- Rocky Road Blues – The Lonesome River Band
- White House Blues – Del McCoury & The Dixie Pals
- A Good Woman’s Love – Tony Rice
- Big Mon – Bobby Hicks
- Blue Yodel #3 – IIIrd Tyme Out
- Kentucky Waltz – Don Rigsby & Midnight Call
- Road to Columbus – Kenny Baker featuring Bill Monroe
- With Body and Soul – Peter Rowan
- Uncle Pen – Jim & Jesse (Previously unreleased on Rebel)
- Tallahassee – Kenny Baker & Bobby Hicks
- The Girl in the Blue Velvet Band – The Boys from Indiana
- Close By – Red Allen
- Brown County Breakdown – Richard Greene
- Mule Skinner Blues – Reno & Smiley
- Blue Moon of Kentucky – Ralph Stanley
- Footprints in the Snow – Mac Wiseman
Let The Light Shine Down: A Gospel Tribute To Bill Monroe
- A Beautiful Life – The Country Gentlemen
- You’re Drifting Away – The Lost & Found
- Wait a Little Longer, Please Jesus – Del McCoury & The Dixie Pals
- Working on a Building – The Seldom Scene
- When the Saints Go Marching In – The Lilly Brothers & Don Stover
- I Am a Pilgrim – The Stanley Brothers (Previously unreleased on CD)
- Swing Low, Sweet Chariot – Don Reno & Benny Martin (Previously unreleased)
- Boat of Love – The Lost & Found
- The Old Cross Road – The Seldom Scene featuring Linda Ronstadt
- He Will Set Your Fields on Fire – Don Reno & Benny Martin (Previously unreleased)
- I’ll Meet You in Church Sunday Morning – Larry Richardson (Previously unreleased)
- Let the Light Shine Down – Junior Sisk & Ramblers Choice
- Mansions for Me – Dave Evans
- Wayfaring Stranger – Ralph Stanley
- Little Community Church House – The Boys from Indiana
- Mother’s Only Sleeping – The Stanley Brothers (Previously unreleased on CD)
- Shine Hallelujah Shine – Reno & Smiley