SubmittedÂ by Wendy Holman, Qld.
Despite a couple of thunderstorms on the Friday, the weather was kind to us for the rest of the weekend and the first Fingerstyle Pickathon was judged a great success.
Pickers came from as far north as Bundaberg, and as far south-west as Toowoomba. There were no formal locations or set times for jamming. This relaxed atmosphere stimulated new friendships – folks wandered in and out of each others campsites with their instruments, keen to have a go at harmonising and even willing to play the same song again.
The majority of pickers were from Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast – some of them professional-level musicians.Â More skilled pickers were generous in sharing their knowledge and folks of all skill levels were able to join in.
- get-togethers like these are a great help to all levels of players
- very laid-back weekend with some nice music and good friends
- it was a really encouraging experience – everyone was so supportive.
- what a lovely bunch of people.
- we had so much fun!Â Great concept and do we have to wait a whole year for the next?”
- liked the idea making it participants only.Â My partner hates being oggled at festivals and won’t go but he had a great time at this event.
On the wish list for the next Fingerstyle Pickathon; a fiddle player or two. Thanks to all who participated and here’s to the next one.