Here is some news from IBMA.
The premiere opportunity to introduce talent and new music at IBMA’s annual World of Bluegrass conference comes in the form of “official” showcase performances which help the music industry assembled see what’s new in the music. These performances take place on a full soundstage and offer selected acts and opportunity to perform in front of the hundreds of industry professionals in attendance.
These presentations are also unique in that acts are chosen in a juried selection process that takes into consideration every applicant’s entertainment value, level of professionalism, potential appeal and quality of work. There are generally in excess of 100 acts which apply.
Selected showcase artists are extended a number of benefits and complimentary services, including:
- High profile performance on featured showcase stage with full sound stage/lighting
- Exclusive time slot not in conflict with other convention activities
- Featured profile in conference program
- Priority access to “Gig Fair” appointments
- Scheduled consultation in advance of events on maximizing showcase opportunities
- Complimentary booth space during business conference (value $600+)
- Full conference registration package for performing members of group (value $1300+)
- One year individual membership for performing members of group (value $300+)
- And other exclusive services available to official showcase performers.
The value of booth space, conference registrations and IBMA membership alone adds up to more than $2,000.00 for a band.
IBMA’s Business Conference is scheduled for Sept. 24-27, 2012, in Nashville, Tenn. Artists are not required to be IBMA members to apply for the showcase opportunity, but are required to submit a $25 fee to help defray selection process costs. If invited as one of the 19 official showcase artists, there is a showcase fee of $900.00 to offset costs of services and showcase production.
The showcases are designed to introduce any one or all of the following to the bluegrass industry:
- Emerging talent capable and willing to broaden their market
- Established bands who have significant changes in their act
- Artists who have significant, new recorded product.
The board-appointed Talent Committee’s selection process involves a fair, but subjective evaluation based on the information presented by each applicant. Depending on the number of acts which apply, the selection process takes approximately three months. IBMA makes the full selection criteria available upon request.
Any act wishing to apply for an official showcase should submit the following by January 16, 2012:
- Five complete promotional packages for each act making application, including five copies of a representative recording of the act’s work. Recording can be a full CD, demo of new cuts not yet released, demo of highlighted material, or other but should be representative of the acts most recent work. (please remove any shrink wrapping)
- Complete contact information on the group
- A $25 application fee, payable to IBMA.
Send all submission packages to: IBMA Showcase Committee, 2 Music Circle South, Ste. 100, Nashville, TN 37203, USA.