Last year I paid a visit to the Sunshine Fiddle Camp which was held at the Alexandra Park Conference Centre on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast. I was keen to see first hand the work done by the Jackson family in bringing this kind of tuition to the Sunshine Coast. It was an eye-opening event. In each corner of the conference centre, the Jacksons and their international guests were conducting workshops in a range of levels for beginners to the most advanced. This live in camp and workshop program was an extraordinary opportunity for fiddle players of all levels and all ages.
The tutors for the 2013 camp scheduled for 25th to 30th September 2013 have been announced.
- USA – Hanneke Cassel www.hannekecassel.com ….. Scottish Fiddle
- USA – Mike Block www.mikeblock.net ….. Cello / Musicianship / Technique
- QLD – George Jackson www.georgejackson.com.au ….. Bluegrass / Old Timey / Improvisation
- QLD – Karen and Jacko Jackson www.fiddlesticks.co.nz ….. Kids / Beginners / Shetland Fiddle
This year organisers have introduced some new offerings:
- This year the camp has been extended to five days.
- 2013 will also cover cello and fiddle
- The advanced player is offered world-class tutors experienced in performance, composition, arranging and improvisation.
- there are separate classes for those who wish to take learning at a Slower Pace.
- A class just for the Kids, (The Kid and the Fiddle)
- And for the beginner fiddlers thee is a class that will get you started or restarted on the Fiddle.
Note that if you started the violin a long time ago, or just always wanted to play the fiddle here is your chance to take up the challenge.
The venue is Alexandra Park Conference Centre in the heart of the Sunshine Coast Beaches, a 200 metre walk to a patrolled Surf Beach and nestled amongst one of the few remaining pockets of Sunshine Coast Rainforest, between Mooloolaba and Maroochydore on Queensland’s beautiful Sunshine Coast.