For the fans of American old-time mountain music (and roots music-lovers alike), the Whitetop Mountaineers from the hills of Virginia are the genuine article. Martha Spencer and Jackson Cunningham are heading to Australia once again by popular demand.
On their previous 5 visits the duo stunned and delighted audiences across the country with their contemporary and traditional performance of American mountain music, song & dance; they are the ‘real-deal’. Both are skilled multi-instrumentalists – Jackson on guitar, mandolin & claw hammer banjo, and Martha on fiddle, guitar & banjo. They are both strong vocal performers and their close harmonies are indicative of the old-time and bluegrass traditions from which they draw their repertoire. In addition to being a talented musician & singer, Martha is also an exceptional dancer and teacher of the art of Appalachian dance. Jackson is also a highly skilled luthier and his beautiful hand crafted fiddles are in high demand.
Whether they are performing a honky-tonk duet, an old-time ballad or traditional fiddle tune, they always attend to their craft with obvious passion, exuberance, and soul. Martha, quite simply, pours her heart out into every note, and connects with audiences in a manner quite rare among today’s performers. Jackson provides the perfect vocal complement, and is also fast becoming one of my most favourite mandolin players – Jon Lohman, Virginia State Folklorist.
Whitetop Mountaineers Tour Schedule:
- Tue – Sun- 27 Dec – 1st Jan – Woodford Folk Festival–
- Wed 4th Jan- Megan Hall, Dorrigo Info 0428 415 078
- Thu- 5th Jan – Carrington Bowling Club, Newcastle
- Fri- 6th Jan – Smiths Alternative, Canberra
- Sat- 7th Jan – The Metropole, Katoomba
- Sun- 8th Jan – Petersham Bowls Club, 77 Brighton St, Petersham
- Mon- 9th Jan – Quarterdeck, Narooma
- Thu- Sun- 12th to 15th Jan – NSW- Illawarra Folk Festival
- Wed- 18th Jan – Yinnar Community Hall, Vic Info email@example.com
- Thu- 19th Jan – Valencia Creek Hall, Briagalong
- Fri- 20th Jan – Harvester Moon Café, 2320 Port Arlington Rd. Bellarine
- Sat 21st Jan – Caravan Music Club, Oakley RSL
- Wed- 25th Jan – Spotted Mallard, Brunswick
- Thu- Sun- 26th to 29th Jan – Newstead Live Festival
- Tue- Jan – Mountain Pickers Assoc – Ferntree Gully Bowling Club